WEA is hiring for new position: Director of Membership and Events
Enthusiastic about your work and believe organizations should be value driven. Experience as a membership coordinator or developed and implemented similar outreach and recruitment programs. Confident in front of a group of people but also know how to support from behind the scenes. Believe that the best public policy is made through collaborative efforts and that a vibrant economy consists of a fair business environment, a well-paid workforce, and healthy communities.
If this sounds like you, we hope you will apply to be our new Director of Membership and Events.
About Westside Economic Alliance
Westside Economic Alliance (WEA) is a unique private and public sector nonprofit organization on the westside of the Portland metropolitan region. For almost 25 years, WEA has been striving to bring economic vitality to the region by engaging both the private and public sectors on key economic issues. WEA plays a leading role in the development of this high-growth region by providing a business perspective in public forums and facilitating cooperation between the private and public sectors. The aim is a unified voice that brings creative and collaborative solutions that influence policy at the local, regional, and state level. The result is a unique partnership that benefits business, workforce, and the communities of our region.
About the role
WEA is looking for someone who is ready to be a part of, and to build, a high functioning, fast-paced team. We have built a reputation as the ‘go to’ for bringing together the private, public and non-profit sectors to discuss regional policy needs and solutions. The Director of Membership and Events will ensure we are engaging every organization that wants to sit at this table and add their voices to these critical regional conversations.
Working closely with, and reporting to, the Executive Director, the Director of Membership and Events recruits, renews, and retains members and manages other functions related to WEA’s Membership Program, enhancing the overall membership experience, and ensuring association responsiveness.
This position will oversee forum and event registration, will be on site for all member-related events and will work with the Executive Director to develop and support creative and engaging annual membership gatherings. This person will serve as the primary staff liaison for standing member committees and other membership-based projects and programming needs.
The Director of Membership’s duties will include:
- Lead the association’s overall efforts to recruit, retain, and engage membership.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, identify and fill gaps in programming and projects in service to WEA’s mission.
- Create a roadmap for sustainable membership growth including establishing short- and long-range plans and goals to achieve organization membership objectives.
- Develop strategies and programs to stimulate member engagement to support membership renewal.
- Develop and manage processes for feedback on WEA membership, programs, and services.
- Oversight of all membership data, tracking and reporting, including recruitment and retention reports.
- Manage administrative tasks necessary to ensure accurate updating of all member information including new and lapsed memberships and all related logistics.
- Initiate and manage strategic partnerships with other related associations and groups to help recruit and retention membership, including attendance at conferences to represent the association.
- Serve as staff liaison to the members and committees including assisting committee chairs in the planning and calendaring of meetings, agenda development and in the execution of all committee related activities.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Systems-level approach to your work that allows for prioritization and on-your-feet thinking.
- Ability to work effectively with Board members, association members, staff and community leaders from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent time management skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Familiarity with and ability to leverage member interactions using, social media & online meeting tools (WEA predominantly uses Zoom).
- Effective communication skills, especially related to writing and analyzing reports, proofreading/editing, taking meeting notes/minutes.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced team environment and also work independently.
- Ability to stay within the budgets allocated to projects and events and provide regular financial reports to the Executive Director.
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to high level of customer service, both internal and externally.
- Project management skills.
- Minimum of three to five years of experience in membership or constituent management position preferred or similar. Relevant lived experience can be substituted for professional experience.
- Experience with event planning and handling travel arrangements.
- Demonstrated experience in growing membership/customers and strengthening membership/customer retention.
- Demonstrate problem solving skills with high level stakeholders, anticipate needs, determine priorities and meet deadlines.
- Background in fundraising a plus.
- Demonstrated commitment to contributing to the diversity, equity, and inclusion efforts of an organization.
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (esp. word processing, spreadsheet), web publishing, and Outlook for email and calendaring (or similar scheduling programs).
In your cover letter, or on an additional page (no more than 1), be sure to connect your previous professional work or lived experiences to the job description.
Salary Range: $70,000 - $82,500
Health & dental insurance
12 paid holidays plus two weeks paid time off annually
WEA continues to work in a hybrid model with at least two days a week in the office, along with in person committee meetings, forums, and one on one meetings with members.
WEA is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, family or parental status, gender identity or any other status protected by law. WEA encourages applicants of all ages.